Most homes today were not built to accommodate aging adults or anyone with limited mobility, strength, and balance. Bathrooms, in particular, are common sites for slips and falls. In order to keep older adults safe and help them stay in their current homes as long as possible, it’s important to make smart bathroom updates for aging adults.
Why Make Bathroom Updates for Aging Adults?
Common bathroom features, such as lack of support in the shower, are potential dangers. Did you know that falls are the leading cause of injurious deaths among older adults? Without grab bars and other slip-resistant features, the risk of suffering a life-threatening fall rises significantly. You can prevent these dangers by remodeling your bathroom with specialized features and plumbing fixtures. And don’t worry—you won’t have to compromise on style. Visit our local showroom partners to select from a wide range of stylish brands and fixtures.
Tips for Designing an All-Ages Bathroom
An all-ages bathroom is one that is built or retrofitted with Universal Design features in mind. Here are several upgrades that will help you make bathroom updates for aging adults:
- Grab bars in the tub and shower, with colors and finishes that compliment your decor and contrast with the wall for better visibility
- Curbless shower or walk-in shower, with little or no threshold to step over
- Slip-resistant flooring throughout the bathroom
- Single-lever faucet handles
- Pressure-balanced faucet to maintain steady water temperature and prevent scalding
- Adjustable height, hand-held shower hose with easy-to-use controls
- Comfort height toilet with a seat height of 17–19 inches, rather than the standard 14–16 inches
Where to Go for More Info
To learn more about making safe bathroom updates for aging adults, check out our Aging in Place webpage, and watch the video to see before-and-after footage of a senior-friendly bathroom remodel. For more info on making age-appropriate adjustments throughout your entire house, visit stopfalls.org and aarp.org/homefit.
At Tony LaMartina Plumbing Company, our expert plumbers have been installing aging-friendly bathroom fixtures throughout the St. Louis area for years. Whether retrofitting your current bathroom or building a brand new custom bathroom, we work with contractors and interior designers to make sure the job is done right.